Disability Access Statement
The Whitebrook undertakes to offer the best possible service to disabled visitors at all times. Although the main part of the building i.e. the ground floor was built in 1670 we have tried wherever possible to be accommodating to special needs.
The following points define our Access Statement
- Set in a rural location with two car park areas. The front main car park has four steps leading down to the front door. The rear car park has flat and level access to the back of the restaurant.
- The front main car park is tarmac.
- The staff are trained to providing assistance to disabled people when entering the building.
- There are separate ladies and gents toilets downstairs but neither have very wide access doors due to the old nature of the building. It is however possible to fit a wheelchair into the ladies toilets.
- A narrow flight of stairs leads up to the two floors of accommodation. Staff are always on hand to assist guests with special needs to the bedrooms and to help with directions and luggage.
- There are hand rails on all stairs but due to the restrictions in space and age and design of the building we are unable to install a stair lift or lift to assist disabled guests. This renders the bedrooms unsuitable for wheelchair users and Zimmer Frame users.
- We offer to carry guest’s luggage up to the bedrooms.
- Corridors outside the bedrooms are well lit.
- Bedrooms are well lit.
- Rooms 1, 2 & 4 have large spaces around the beds and large bathrooms which are easy to move around in.
- We do not offer 24hr room service but the owners are on hand 24hrs for emergencies only.
- The bedrooms are equipped with loud alarm sounders in each room as well as in the bedroom corridors, lounge and restaurant.
- There are designated “safe areas” on each floor which offer 30 mins safety in the event of a fire or emergency evacuation.
- All staff are fully trained in how to react in an emergency and fire evacuation and fire wardens are trained to assist guests in evacuating the building and use of “safe areas”.
- The restaurant and bar are situated on the ground floor.
- There is a comfortable lounge for residents and restaurant guests to relax in on the ground floor.
- There are comfortable chairs which offer firm support and are not too low off the ground to assist elderly or infirm guests.
- There is one small and easily negotiated step into the restaurant via the terrace doors. The terrace door is a double door with wide access.
- Staff are always on hand to assist all guests including disabled guests into the restaurant and whilst guests are dining.
- There is a large font menu available on request.
- Dishes are described in detail as they are set in front of guests and this assists visually impaired people.
- There is direct access from the rear car park to the main terrace with no steps to negotiate and a wide access garden gate.
- We deal with a number of highly reputable and reliable taxi companies and can put guests in touch with them for transport requirements.
- There is no mobile reception in our area but we do offer free use of the telephone to guests for local and emergency calls.
- The local doctor’s surgery telephone number is displayed in our guest information pack.
- Guide dogs are welcome.
"We had a wonderful stay. Room was beautiful, very comfy stay. Food excellent, service amazing"
KRISTIAN & JEM, MAY 2015